Italian and Northern Renaissance Blog - The Garden of Earthly Delights

 


The Garden of Earthly Delights is a Northern Renaissance painting that quickly caught my eye. Artist Hieronymus Bosch was born in C. 1450 and he lived in the town of Hertogenbosch in northern Braband which is now known as Holland. His painting style is more of a surrealistic, cartoon like style. Bosch learned how to paint from his grandfather and father. The painting is now hung in the Mueso Nacional Del Prado in Madrid Spain. 

This painting caught my eye because it is a painting that I believe is very different from the rest of the Norther Renaissance painting that I was looking at. The three different wood pieces to this painting are the most intriguing to me. Each one is connected to the next but they all tell a very different story. The left piece seems to be more calm and relaxing. There are fewer people and more animals in their natural element. The middle piece seems to have the most going on, there are lots of people that are clothed and naked. Large group of animals that are running around in the center and way more structures in the background. The right piece looks more like hell or a place of damnation. Dark colors and more graphic images. After reading about this painting, it is described to be a work filled with images that are depicting Adam and Eve on the left panel, the garden in the middle and hell on the right panel. 

As amazing as this painting is, I personally do not think that I would ever own a copy to have in my house. It has a ton going on and is almost to hard for me to focus on and figure out the story the artists is trying to portray. If I had not do more research on the painting, I would have had no idea that it was trying to portray Adam and Eve. 

After doing some further research, I was able to find that The Garden of Earthly Delights is related to Humanism, the painting is a image of god's creation of mankind and the instruments that humans use everyday. I believe that the painting does a really good job at portraying that humans are the center of their own universe. 


https://www.museodelprado.es/en/the-collection/art-work/the-garden-of-earthly-delights-triptych/02388242-6d6a-4e9e-a992-e1311eab3609

https://mwenzlick13.wordpress.com/2015/02/12/humanism-and-the-garden-of-earthly-delights/

Comments

  1. Hi Sydney! Thank you for sharing this piece with us. I admire Bosch's artworks because his perspective was so unique in comparison to other artists during his time. This piece was Bosch's portrayal of sins and morality and I agree with you that the theme here is humanistic. I have done some reading on this piece as well and I agree with your thoughts on each panel. The left portraying God creating the world, the middle portraying Adam and Eve amongst the battels of sin and morals, and then right portraying hell.

    I enjoyed reading about your perspective of the piece, especially your thoughts on the color schemes. I would love to have this piece of art hanging in my home as I enjoy pieces that allow the viewer to continuously find new elements and forces critical thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Western Blog - Edo Period -Japan

Art F200X - Sydney Robertson

Mid Modern Blog - Vietnam War